Next →

Luciad is a leading software company in the area of geospatial data visualisation. Among its clients are big institutions such as Eurocontrol or NATO. 

They contacted us in the middle of 2016 so that we could work on a new version of their website. After a short analysis, we decided to build a completely new implementation using Craft CMS.

  • Release date: Dec 2016
  • Technologies used: Craft CMS , HTML5 , CSS
  • Strategy / Content: Luciad
  • Strategy / Design / Development: Tcheu!
  • Links:

Starting the project with a one day workshop

The first thing we need to do when starting a new web project is to understand what our client is doing and why they need the website in the first place. In our experience, there is no better way to understand that than to organise a full day workshop.

This workshop allows us to meet people from the organisation and discover what their job is and how we can make it easier for them.

During this workshop, we ask a lot of questions and we aim to finish the day having gathered all the materials needed to kickstart the project.

At the end of the day, we had a clear view of Luciad's objectives and we were able to define the new content structure.

Static templates to begin the production phase

Static templates to begin the production phase

On a design point of view, we had to mostly reuse the previous website's graphic guidelines, while refreshing them a bit. To demonstrate this new design, we created a first round of static templates so that Luciad could give us a first feedback.

Once the new design was approved, we continued to iterate and produce new static templates to cover most of the new pages.

Mapping the content structure to Craft CMS settings

While the front-end team is busy creating the static templates, the back-end team takes the time to do a "Craft build" which is an analysis of the content and features needed, materialised in a list of fields and settings used to configure the CMS.

From static to dynamic

From static to dynamic

Once the static templates were ready, we could begin to integrate them with Craft CMS. We began to add some (mostly genuine) content to test our various pages and blocks. We prefer to avoid "Lorem ipsums" as much as possible, as it usually doesn't convey the correct impression of what the page should contain.

Final result

We are pretty happy with the final result and so is our client. They received a lot of positive feedback since the launch and we are happy to continue to work with them on further updates for the website.